Today we are again heading into the capital for a view of a surviving first generation structure, although whereas many of our London entries have seen the depots still used for buses it’s a different story for East Ham Depot.
East Ham Corporation tram depot in Nelson Road, East Ham is situated at the rear of East Ham Town Hall. It was opened as a depot on 22nd June 1901 and was taken over by London Transport on 1st July 1933. It soon closed though with the last trams moving out on 30th September 1933 and operations transferred to the former West Ham Corporation depot in Greengate Street. For many years it was used by council lorries but has now been incorporated into the Newham Council Leisure Centre.