Having spent the past seven years out of service undergoing attention in the workshops, Stockport 5 is set to return to service at the Heaton Park Tramway on Friday 4th December. It was 2013 the last time that 5 ran in service and although it has travelled back to its home town for a day a couple of years ago it has spent most of that time undergoing workshop attention to bring it back to use – and now that day is upon us!
It had been hoped that 5 would have return to service back in March when the Heaton Park Tramway was celebrating their 40th anniversary but the pandemic intervened and this was delayed. With a few jobs having now been completed over the past few months (as restrictions allowed) it is now time for the open topper to return to service.
On Friday 4th December will be launched from Lakeside Depot at 1300 and will then be available for rides until 1600. In keeping with the world we currently find ourselves in there will be a number of special rules put in place for anyone wishing to ride on the tram.
- 5 will only be able to be boarded and alighted at Lakeside
- Track and trace details will be taken
- Tickets can only be purchased by card (although members can still travel for free)
- A maximum of two groups of 6 can be caried on the top deck and two groups of 6 in the lower saloon
- Masks must be worn at all times when onboard Stockport 5
- The tram must be alighted upon return to Lakeside to allow for thorough cleaning of tram after each journey. Anyone wishing to take another trip will have to rejoin in the queue.
Fares will be £5 for a group of 2 or less of £10 for a group of 3-6.
If you can’t make it to Heaton Park on Friday – don’t despair! It is planned that there will be a live stream event – check out the Heaton Park Tramway Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HeatonParkTramway for more details.