When the London Transport Museum in Covent Gardens last underwent a major redevelopment between 2005 and 2007 there was a major change in emphasis and reduction in large items on display which saw two of the trams previously on view being moved to the Acton store. Those two trams – including one of only three surviving Feltham trams in the world – can be seen at Acton during their relatively regular open days and in this article we take a look at the two.
The two trams which can be found at Acton are Feltham 355 and E/1 1025.
The Feltham dates from 1931 by UCC at Feltham and entered service for MET out of the Finchley depot. Upon takeover of the tramway by London Transport it was renumbered 2099 and was sold to Leeds in 1949. It had 10 more years in service in West Yorkshire before being withdrawn and then received its original livery again.
1025 was built in 1910 by Hurst Nelson and was one of 1,050 similar trams built for London County Council Tramways between 1907 and 1930. It remained in service until January 1952 (not quite seeing the end of trams) before being withdrawn. It is preserved in its final condition with windscreens fitted and in London Transport livery.
The main Covent Garden site retains two trams on display: London Tramways 284 (a double deck horse tram) and West Ham 102 (a double decker).
- Details of when the Museum Depot at Acton opens can be found at https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visit/museum-depot