RTC on Bilston Road sees pregnant teenager taken to hospital with life threatening injuries

Over the years there have been several collisions on Bilston Road in Wolverhampton between trams and cars with the latest one on Thursday 16th September seeing a pregnant teenager in the car having to be taken to hospital with life threatening injuries. The teenage driver of the car, who also required hospital treatment, was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.

The collision occurred at 0630 on Thursday 16th September at Bilston Street Island with the Police, West Midlands Fire Service and the Ambulance service all attending.

In a statement West Midlands Fire Service said: “The driver of the car was able to extricate himself before our firefighters arrived. On advice of paramedics, we assisted a pregnant passenger, who was not trapped by injuries, from the car who was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and the car was made safe by our firefighters.”

West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 6.32am to reports of a collision involving a car and tram at the junction of Bilston Street and Piper’s Row, Wolverhampton. We sent two ambulances, two paramedic officers, a MERIT trauma doctor and critical care paramedic and the Midlands Air Ambulance Critical Care Car. On arrival, crews found a teenage girl in a life-threatening condition. Staff worked quickly to administer advanced trauma care to the patient at the scene and en route to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. The second occupant of the car, a teenage boy, was treated for injuries not believed to be serious and was conveyed to New Cross Hospital.”

And the Police added: “he driver of the car has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving and was also taken to hospital with minor injuries. A passenger on the tram also received minor injuries. The collision happened around 6.30am in Bilston Street and roads have been closed while emergency services are at the scene.”

Trams were only running from Bull Street to The Royal until approximately 1145 when a full service was able to resume although road closures remained in place for a bit longer.

The tram involved was 35 which suffered severe end damage. It was eventually recovered to depot for an assessment to be made into its condition.

This entry was posted in West Midlands Metro. Bookmark the permalink.