We take a second trip to a surviving structure on the former Lytham St Annes tramway system for this edition of “Still Standing!” and its another former shelter.
This structure is an octagonal brick building which is located at the junction of the A584 Clifton Drive South and Marine Drive in Ansdell, not far from the famous ‘white church’. Marine Drive leads to the Ribble estuary and Fairhaven Lake while in the opposite direction Woodlands Road leads to Ansdell and Fairhaven station.
Built in 1923 – a year after Lytham St Annes Corporation had taken control of the tramway from the company – and appears to be in close to its original condition. There are seats inside and the entrance door is open but it isn’t currently in use for transport as the bus stop for Blackpool is a few metres further towards Lytham. A replica board (presumed to be a fairly recent addition) with the wording “ANSDELL FAIRHAVEN” is affixed to the building.