In this latest edition of “Still Standing” we are heading to Yorkshire and the city of Sheffield to be more precise as we take a look at the old Tinsley Depot building.
Dating all the way back to 1873 when it was first used by the Sheffield Tramways Company as a stables before it became a running shed the following year it was used solely for horse trams until 1899 when following Corporation takeover the system was converted to electric operation as was the depot. Suffering a fire to the body shop in 1910 it also lost paint shop facilities in 1929 but continued to see use as a depot until 1959. After that it was a store for trams awaiting scrapping. The building remained in place and since the final closure of the tramway in 1960 it has seen a number of uses, the most notable of which may be when it was the home of the Sheffield Bus Museum (now in Rotherham and known as the South Yorkshire Transport Museum).