Still Standing! Lowestoft Tram Depot

We continue this latest series of “Still Standing!”  with a trip to East Anglia as we take a look at the former Lowestoft tram depot.

Built in 1903 by Lowestoft Corporation the depot is located on the east side of Rotterdam Road in the town (one of only two tramways to run in Suffolk – now three if you include the East Anglia Transport Museum!). It featured four tracks in the main building before a later additional one track shed was built. In 1929 buses moved in to share the building before the tramway closed in 1931 and it was solely used for buses. It remained as a bus depot until 1977 at which point Waveney District Council sold their bus operations to Eastern Counties Omnibus Co. It was then used for industrial use although now seems to be disused.

Two photos showing the former tram depot as it is today, seemingly unused. (Both Photographs by Bob Hodges, 29th May 2022)

This entry was posted in Still Standing!. Bookmark the permalink.