Today we continue our “Lockdown Walks” with another image taken in the vicinity of Chorlton.
The tramstop at Chorlton was opened to the public in July 2011 but that is not where the history of a station in this vicinity starts as it was once the site of Chorlton-cum-Hardy railway station. This station was opened in 1880 and remained in operation until 2nd January 1967 when the line was closed as part of the Beeching Axe. The line stayed open into the 1980s for freight only but the station was demolished following this and a supermarket built. A supermarket, now a Morrisons, which is adjacent to the new tramstop today.