Whilst most of our entries in this series have been to the west of the country in today’s edition we are heading east to take a look at Grimsby Corporation Tramways Victoria Street Depot.
Still in use today as a bus depot by Stagecoach the structure on Victoria Street is actually a fairly late arrival having not been used for trams until 1927. Surprisingly, it was actually used for trolleybuses the year before trams moved in – in most cases the timeline will be the opposite way around! It was converted from a redundant seaplane hangar (which did receive reinforced concrete walls as part of the work) and would only end up being used for trams for a little over 10 years with the last leaving at the end of March 1937. But that wasn’t to be the end of its life as a transport depot as it remains used by Stagecoach today and there even remains some long disused tram track on the floor.