Continuing our tour of tram survivors in the north of Scotland we come to an oddity – a former horse tramcar rescued and restored as a carriage on the Alford Valley Railway in Aberdeenshire.
The history of the former horse car now in use as a carriage is not fully known but what is known is that it was built in 1895. This probably means that it was built by R & J Shinnie of Union Row, Aberdeen and was only used in this form for three years before its home tramway was converted to electric operation. After this its history seems to be unknown as there is no official word on whether it was converted for electric operation or was sold on for further use at this stage. It is also not clear what its original number in the Aberdeen fleet was.
What is known is that it was discovered in a garden in Ellon (16 miles north of Aberdeen) in use as a summerhouse. It was then acquired by the Alford Valley Railway and was restored for use as hauled stock on the line.
The Alford Valley Railway is a 2 foot gauge narrow gauge line which runs for 1.3km to Haughton Park. It operates daily throughout the school summer holidays in Scotland between 1230 and 1600 and has also runs regularly at other times through until October. They have a website at http://alfordvalleyrailway.org.uk/ (although at the time of writing this is unavailable).