Before “Picture in Time” moves on again we just have time for one more photo from Crich and we’re moving forward a bit to 1989 for this week’s image.
Dundee 21 is the only steam tram trailer in the collection and has been on display at the Crich site since 1989 – and that is the year that this photo was taken as the tram stands on the depot fan in front of the workshop with the Blackpool Electric Locomotive (then in its red livery) in charge of shunting duties. It is just a static exhibit and has never run at Crich with the braking system incomplete s it wasn’t restored with a view to operation.
The tram was built in 1894 by G.F. Milnes & Co and would have a relatively short history in service as it was withdrawn in 1902. As with many tramcar bodies it was sold on for further use and the lower deck became a fisherman’s hut to the northeast of Dundee. Its life as a fisherman’s hut had a lot more longevity as it would remain there for over 60 years before it was discovered and rescued by enthusiasts who started a long restoration. A lot of the work took place at Marton Moss near Blackpool from 1969 before it was transported to Clay Cross in 1980 and then on to Bolton where the work was completed ahead of it being delivered to Crich.