Still standing! Horwich Tram Depot

This is the first of a new series “Still Standing” as we take a look at some remaining structures from the UK’s first generation tramways. We have previously seen some old tram depots, tram overhead and in some cases remaining track on these pages and in this series we will be continuing that theme. We start off in the northwest with images of Bolton Corporation Tramway’s Horwich Depot.

Opened in May 1900 by Bolton Corporation the car shed at Horwich is on the corner of Chorlton New Road and Beatrice Street and remained in use for trams until October 1946 when the Horwich route was abandoned, the year before the last route closed.

Now in use as industrial premises the “Bolton Corporation Car Shed” legend is still in clear evidence of the structure.

A second look at the building.

Alongside the car shed was a waiting room with the sign also seen at the top here. (All Photographs by David Jones)

This entry was posted in Still Standing!. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.