Around the World in Trams: Geneva 845

We’re back for more from around the world, with this edition heading to the Swiss city of Geneva.

The network in Geneva is metre gauge and over the years has expanded, contracted and then expanded again. The first trams ran in 1862 and by 1920 it was the largest in Europe, however by 1960 it had reduced to only one line. Then since 1995 further expansion has followed and it is now 22 miles in length with four routes in operation.

This photo shows 845 which has just left the terminal loop at Nations with a route 13 services to Palettes. The tram is of a batch built between 1987 and 1989 by Vevey and has doors only on one side. The date is 16th September 2009.

Photograph by Tony Sullivan

This entry was posted in Around the World in Trams. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.