We are heading up the mountain today in “Picture in Time” as we feature an image of one of the fleet of trams used on the Great Orme Tramway – no. 4.
As with all members of the fleet on the Great Orme Tramway no. 4 entered service when the Great Orme Tramway opened in 1902 and has continued to see use over the majority of the last 113 years. By the time of this photograph the tramway has been converted to fully electric operation (previously the power station was equipped with winding gear powered by steam) with the trams running in a plain dark blue livery.
This photo – taken on 9th August 1968 – shows no. 4 making its way up the Great Orme and is found on the lower section.