Its another trip to the northwest for this edition of “Still Standing!” as we head to the Platt Bridge area of Wigan with a depot which can be found in the incredibly aptly named Tram Street!
It has been around 115 years since a tram last left the depot on Tram Street with it being closed in 1904/5 and then being let out for commercial use in 1907 – and that is what the location is still used for to this day with the main clue to its origins being the fact it is called Tram Street! Originally opened on 2nd September 1896 by the Wigan and District Tramways Company Limited it was initially used by steam trams before takeover from Wigan Corporation came on the last day of September 1902. Electric trams took over residence from late May 1903 but it wouldn’t be for long as complete closure came in the region of 1904/5. Trams continued to run in Wigan until 1931.