News | Fleet Lists | Gallery | Articles | Tram Profiles | Tram of the Year | Diary of Events | Links | About the Site | Email

Last Updated Sunday 7th September 2014

Blackpool Tramway

Key to the colours used in this fleet list:
Operational, Under Attention/Overhaul/Restoration, Stored/Withdrawn, On loan elsewhere , Not Yet Delivered

Core Service Trams

Included in this section are the trams which are expected to operate most services on the tramway from Easter 2012 including the new Flexity2s and the Widened Balloon Cars.

Flexity2 - "A" fleet

Built: 2010-2 by Bombardier, Bautzen, Germany
Seats: 74 (plus room for 148 standing)
Motors: 4 x 120kW (160 hp) three phase AC traction motors
Power Conductor: Single Arm Pantograph
Depot: Starr Gate

No. Arrived Into Service Livery Current Status Link
001 29th August 2011 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
002 16th December 2011 / 1st November 2012 5th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
003 4th February 2012 12th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
004 17th November 2011 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
005 9th December 2011 6th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
006 2nd February 2012 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
007 17th February 2012 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
008 2nd March 2012 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
009 8th March 2012 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
010 16th March 2012 5th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
011 23rd March 2012 4th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
012 5th April 2012 26th April 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
013 27th April 2012 18th May 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
014 11th May 2012 18th May 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
015 8th June 2012 29th June 2012 Purple & White Operational Photo
016 25th June 2012 3rd July 2012 Advert for Fleetwood Freeport Operational

Notes:
002 originally arrived in Blackpool on 16th December 2011 and saw use on driver training before making its debut in service on 5th April 2012. However it was only used in passenger service once - although extensive use was made of the tram on Driver Training - before being returned to Bombardier at Bautzen on 12th May 2012 for some unspecified work to take place. Once this work was completed the tram was displayed at InnoTrans 2012 in Berlin during September 2012. It was finally returned to Blackpool on 1st November 2012 and has now been commissioned for use. The tram is named Alderman E. E. Wynne.
003 was originally delivered to Derby for testing purposes before moving on to Blackpool. The date in the arrival column is the date it was delivered to Starr Gate Depot.
006 had the honour of running the first fare paying passenger journey on the upgraded tramway. Unfortunately on departing Bold Street, Fleetwood it derailed causing the service to be suspended between Ash Street and Fleetwood Ferry.

Widened Balloon Cars - "B" Fleet

Originally Built: 1934-5 by English Electric, Preston
Seats: 700, 713, 719 & 720 - 94 (54 upper/40 lower). 707, 709, 711, 718, 724 - 92 (52 upper/40 lower).
Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw)
Trucks: EE 4ft 9ins. wheelbase
Controllers: 2 x EE Z6
Power Conductor: Diamond Pantograph
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Current Status Link
700 February 1934 Purple & White July 2012 Operational Photo
707 September 1934 Advert for Coral Island Buccaneer Bar June 2011 Stored Photo
709 October 1934 Advert for Sealife Centre July 2011 Stored Photo
711 October 1934 Purple & White October 2012 On loan to Crich Tramway Village
713 December 1934 Advert for Houndshill Shopping Centre July 2011 Stored Photo
718 December 1934 Advert for Madame Tussauds June 2011 Stored Photo
719 February 1935 Purple & White October 2012 Stored
720 February 1935 Advert for Walls Ice Cream June 2011 Stored Photo
724 February 1935 Advert for Lyndene Hotel September 2011 Stored Photo

Notes:
All these trams have been modified to enable their operation on the new upgraded tramway. The main modification has been the fitting of new centre porches ("bulges") so they can be used by passengers at the new platforms.
700 became the first of these trams to receive the Blackpool Council colours of Purple and White in July 2012. It made its public debut on 15th July at the Fleetwood Tram Sunday event.
707, 709, 718 and 724 were rebuilt in the last 1990s/early 2000s with flat fronts which were at one time unofficially known as "Millenium Cars".
711 is on loan at the Crich Tramway Village for the 2014 season. It departed Blackpool on Tuesday 8th April 2014 arriving at Crich the same day.
With the exception of 700 and 711 none of these trams have operated in 2014 and all are considered stored, although most could probably be returned to service with minimal effort.

Other Passenger Trams - "C" Fleet

This section includes all other passenger trams currently on Blackpool Transport property. This includes both those trams being retained by Blackpool Transport for use as part of the heritage fleet, sold trams awaiting movement and unsold trams.

Boat Cars

Originally Built: 1934 by English Electric, Preston
Seats: 52
Motors: 2 x EE 327 type, 40h.p. (17.5Kw)
Trucks: EE 4ft wheelbase
Controllers: 600 - 2 x EE DB1, 602 & 604 - 2xEE Z type
Power Conductor: Trolley
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Owner Current Status Link
227 July 1934 Red & White August 2013 Blackpool Transport Operational
230 August 1934 1970s Green & Cream May 2012 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
600 January 1934 Original Green & Cream September 2010 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo

Notes:
600 underwent a major overhaul in 2009/10 (its first ever), returning to service on 25th September 2010. The tram is now fitted with a Low Voltage system and also has the revised end “bumpers”. It retains its name Duchess of Cornwall and has light bulbs (yellow and blue) strung from the corner poles.
230 - formerly numbered 604 but now having reverted to its pre-1968 number - was launched back into service on 9th June 2012 as part of a sponsorship deal with the George Formby Society. It now carries the name George Formby OBE.
227 has recently received extensive electrical attention at Starr Gate Depot but is now available for service once again.

Brush Cars

Originally Built: 1937 by Brush Co., Loughborough
Seats: 48 (6 standing). Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw)
Trucks: EMB 4ft 3ins wheelbase
Controllers: 2xEE Z4 or Z6
Power Conductor: Diamond Pantograph
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Owner Current Status Link
259 July 1937 Works Green ? New charitable trust Stored
631 August 1937 Green & Cream May 2013 Blackpool Transport Operational
632 August 1937 Half Green & Cream May 2010 New charitable trust Stored

Notes:
259 returned to Rigby Road on 10th December 2013 from open storage. It will become part of the new charitable trust following the merger of the majority of the LTT fleet and the Blackpool Transport heritage fleet. It will require considerable work before re-entering service.
631 is now available for service following workshop attention, although further work is expected to be undertaken at some point in the future to remove more of its modern features (such as the enclosed pantograph tower).
632 returned to Rigby Road on 10th December 2013 from open storage. It will become part of the new charitable trust following the merger of the majority of the LTT fleet and the Blackpool Transport heritage fleet.

Centenary Cars

Originally Built: 1984-8 by East Lancashire Coachbuilders of Blackburn
Seats: 53 (16 standing). Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw)
Trucks: Blackpool Transport 5ft 6ins wheelbase with Metalistic suspension
Controllers: Brush 'Chopper' control
Power Conductor: Diamond Pantograph
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Owner Current Status Link
642 December 1986 All over Yellow July 2006 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
648 January 1990 Green & Cream May 2013 Blackpool Transport Operational

Notes:
642 returned to service on Sunday 26 May as part of the heritage fleet. It had originally been intended it would be used as a source of spare parts for 648 but now may be retained as an operational example.
648 was originally acquired for preservation by the Tramway Museum Society but was declined due to a lack of space at Crich. It has now become part of the Heritage Pool of trams. It returned to service on a FTS tour on Saturday 20 July 2013 following a repaint and other workshop attention.
All trams have undergone midlife overhauls.

Twin Cars

Towing Cars

Rebuilt: 1958-62 by Blackpool Transport from English Electric Railcoaches
Seats: 53 (6 standing). Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw)
Trucks: English Electric 4ft wheelbase (672/674/676 have trucks with Metalistic suspension from withdrawn OMO Cars)
Controllers: 1 x EE Z6 type
Power Conductor: Diamond Pantograph
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Owner Current Status Link
272 September 1960 Cream September 2012 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
675 March 1958 Red & Yellow October 2004 Blackpool Transport Stored Photo
676 March 1958 Green & Cream August 1991 Blackpool Transport Stored

Trailer Cars

Rebuilt: 1960-1 by Metro-Cammell Weymann
Seats: 61 (6 standing). Trucks: Maley and Taunton 5ft 6ins wheelbase
Controllers: 1 x EE Z6 type
Depot: Rigby Road
These trams are permanently coupled to their respective towing cars (e.g. 672+682) with the exception of 687 whose towing car was used for the restoration of the Western Train.

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Owner Current Status Link
T2 August 1960 Cream September 2012 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
685 October 1960 Red & Yellow October 2004 Blackpool Transport Stored Photo
686 November 1960 Green & Cream October 1991 Blackpool Transport Stored

Notes:
272+T2 have been repainted in the original Twin Car livery of mostly cream with green lining and returned to service in September 2012 as part of the heritage fleet. The repaint has been funded by a kind donation by a tram enthusiast.
The other two Twin Car sets remaining at Rigby Road are both owned by Blackpool Transport and may return to use at some point in the future.

Balloon Cars

Built: 1934-5 by English Electric, Preston
Seats: 701 - 90 (50 upper/40 lower), 704, 715, 717 - 94 (54 upper/40 lower), 706, 723 - 92 (52 upper/40 lower).
Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw)
Trucks: EE 4ft 9ins wheelbase
Controllers: 2 x EE Z6
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Power Conductor Owner Current Status Link
701 September 1934 Red & White September 2014 Diamond Pantograph Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
706 September 1934 Original Green & Cream July 2003 Trolley Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
715 January 1935 1970s Green & Cream June 2011 - New charitable trust Stored
717 December 1934 Original Green & Cream February 2008 Diamond Pantograph Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
723 January 1935 Advert for Sands Venue July 2010 Diamond Pantograph Blackpool Transport Operational Photo

Notes:
701 has been repainted in red and white "Routemaster" livery (as previously carried by the tram in 1991-1993). It returned to use in August 2014 although required some finishing touches which have now been applied.
706 was rebuilt into an open topper and named Princess Alice for the 1985 Blackpool Tram Centenary. Having spent the entire 2011 season out of use as it was not fitted with transponders 706 returned to service as part of the Heritage Fleet on 6th April 2012.
715 returned to Rigby Road on 9th December 2013 from open storage. It is one of the trams formerley of the Lancastrian Transport Trust which will be under the control of a new charitable trust following the merger of the two fleets.
717 underwent a major overhaul to near original condition, although with a few modern safety features. It was named "Walter Luff" after a short ceremony at Pleasure Beach on 19th April 2014 and carries these names on the sides of the tram.
723 is used as a snowplough car during the winter months. The tram is believed to be operational but has now run in passenger service since May 2013.

Illuminated Trams

733 Built: 1962 from Railcoach 209 Seats: 35 Trucks: EE 4ft. wheelbase Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw) Controllers: 1 x EE Z6 type
734 Built: 1962 from Pantograph 174 Seats: 60 Trucks: EE 4ft. wheelbase Motors: None (permanently coupled to 734) Controllers: 1 x ‘back-up’ for reversing
736 Originally Built: 1965 from Pantograph 170 (rebuilt 2004) Seats: 71 Trucks: EE 4ft. wheelbase Motors: 2 x GEC WT28L, 40h.p. (17.5Kw) Controllers: 1 x EE Z4 at front, 2 x EE Z type at rear for reversing
737 Built: 2001 from Brush 633 Seats: 48 Trucks: EMB 4ft. 3ins. Wheelbase Motors: 2 x EE 305 type, 57h.p. (25Kw) Controllers: 2 x EE Z4 or Z6
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Last relivery Name Power Conductor Owner Current Status Link
733 September 1962 Red, Green & Yellow January 2009 The Western Train Locomotive Trolley Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
734 September 1962 Red, Green & Yellow January 2009 The Western Train Carriage Coupled to 733 Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
736 August 1965 White April 2004 The Frigate Pantograph Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
737 August 2001 Blue, Red, Black & White July 2001 The Trawler Pantograph Blackpool Transport Operational Photo

Notes:
733+734 were officially relaunched on Thursday 14th May 2009 following a major restoration after a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £278,000. The tram has been restored to original 1962 style externally including adverts for ABC Television but internally the carriage (former Pantograph 174) has been stripped back to show off its original Pantograph panelling. It had been withdrawn after the 1999 season.
736 returned to service in September 2004 following 3 years out of service and a major rebuild.
737 was officially renumbered in winter 2007/8 having previously been numbered 633 from 2001-2007.

Trams of Special Interest

40 Built: 1914 Seats: 48 Trucks: Preston McGuire Motors: 2 x BTH 509D1, 40h.p. Controllers: 2 x BTH B510
66 Built: 1901 by Electric Railway & Carriage Co. Seats: 74 Trucks: Brill Type 22E Motors: 2 x Metro-Vick 323, 35h.p. Controllers: 2 x Dick Kerr DB1
147 Built: 1924 by Hurst Nelson, Motherwell Seats: 78 Trucks: Preston McGuire e/w bogies Motors: 2 x BTH B265C, 35h.p. Controllers: 2 x BTH B510
660 Built: 1953 by Charles Roberts, Wakefield Seats: 56 (6 standing) Trucks: Maley & Taunton HS44 type, 6ft. wheelbase Motors: 4 x Crompton Parkinson C92, 45h.p. (20Kw) Controllers: 2 x EE Z6 type
Depot: Rigby Road

Tram Into Service Livery Last relivery Power Conductor Owner Current Status Link
Blackpool OMO 8 1974
(2013)
Plum & Custard Autumn 2005 Pantograph New charitable trust Stored
Blackpool & Fleetwood Box 40 1914
(1996)
Varnished Woodwork & Cream June 2014 Trolley Tramway Museum Society Back at Crich Tramway Village Photo
Bolton 66 1901
(1981)
Maroon & Cream August 2013 Trolley Bolton 66 Group Operational Photo
Blackpool Standard 143 1924
(September 2013)
Red, White & Teak 2010 New charitable trust Stored
Blackpool Standard 147 1924
(October 2000)
Green & Cream February 2006 Trolley Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
Blackpool Railcoach 279 1935
(September 2013)
- - New charitable trust Stored
Blackpool Coronation 304 1952
(2013)
Cream & Green January 2009 Trolley New charitable trust Operational
Blackpool Coronation 660 July 1953 Cream & Green October 2004 Trolley Blackpool Transport Stored Photo
Blackpool Coronation 663 July 1953 Green & Cream - - New charitable trust Stored
Blackpool Jubilee 761 July 1979 Advert for Wynsors World of Shoes July 2008 - Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust Stored

Notes:
OMO 8 and Coronation 304 returned to Rigby Road depot on Tuesday 11 June 2013 as the first part of the former Lancastrian Transport Trust owned trams returning to the custodianship of Blackpool Transport. They will eventually be prepared for a return to service on the tramway and will be looked after by a new charitable trust. They were followed by Standard 143 and Railcoach 279 in October 2013, which made the move from Brinwell Road. These two trams are partially restored and are not expected to see use for some time.
Box 40 is currently back at the Crich Tramway Village for the Electric 50 celebrations taking place in mid-September. It received an overhaul over winter 2013/4 and first ran again in Blackpool on 20th July at Fleetwood Tram Sunday being transported to Crich the following day and re-entering service there on 1st August 2014. 40 will return to Blackpool following its period of operation at Crich later this year.
Bolton 66 had its long running adverts for Acdo removed in August 2013 and received a partial repaint at the same time.
Standard 147 returned to Blackpool from America after an absence of 33 years in two parts in October 2000. The tram was restored and returned to service in April 2002. It is named Michael Airey. The tram is part of the operational "heritage" tram fleet.
Pantograph 167 arrived in Blackpool on 28th April 2014 for a short-term loan and then returned to the Crich Tramway Village on Friday 29th August. It has been removed from the fleet list above.
Coronation 304 re-entered service on 25th August as part of the heritage fleet following attention to return it to operable condition.
Coronation 660 last ran in 2010 and is stored awaiting workshop attention including repairs to its defective saloon doors.
Coronation 663 returned to Rigby Road on 9th December 2013 from the former Brinwell Road workshops of the Lancastrian Transport Trust. It is now part of the new charitable trust due to be formed to look after the heritage fleet. It will require considerable attention before returning to service.
Jubilee 761 was moved to Rigby Road on 11th December 2013 for further storage. The tram remains owned by the Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust and is only staying at Rigby Road for storage and will not be considered for a return to service.
The dates in brackets refer to the year that these trams arrived in Blackpool for their current visit.

Engineering Vehicles

260 Built: 1973 on underframe of Brush Car 628 Trucks: EMB 4ft. 3ins. wheelbase
750 Built: c1907
754 Built: 1992 by East Lancashire Coachbuilders, Blackburn Trucks: EE 4ft wheelbase Motors: 2xEE 327, 40h.p. (17.5Kw) Controllers: 2 x EE Z4
Depot: Rigby Road

No. Into Service Livery Purpose Power Conductor Owner Current Status Link
260 March 1973 Works Yellow Rail Crane Towed Blackpool Borough Council Stored
750 1907 Yellow Reel Wagon Towed Blackpool Borough Council Operational Photo
754 August 1992 Yellow Overhead Line Car Trolley/Diesel Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
939 August 2003 Yellow & Orange Road/Rail Vehicle Diesel Engine Blackpool Transport Operational Photo
Crab February 2012 Yellow Shunter Battery Blackpool Council Operational

Notes:
260 has received a new braking system, similar to that fitted to 750.
750 underwent a rebuild/overhaul Summer 2004 – believed to be its first ever!
754 is currently based at Starr Gate Depot.
938 is a Brecknell Willis Overhead Inspection vehicle, which has previously seen use on the Midland Metro system.
939 originally arrived in December 2002. However it had to leave Blackpool for modifications before finally entering service summer 2004. It is a Mercedes Benz Unimog with a bucket hoist.
The Crab is a small battery operated shunter which is based at Starr Gate Depot for shunting of the Flexity2 fleet.

British Trams Online is an enthusiast run website for enthusiasts. It should be able to be viewed at all screen resolutions but I do advise you that it is probably best at 1024x768. The site is owned, maintained (and in the main written) by Gareth Prior. Any comments or suggestions please email.